Wednesday, May 16, 2007

nothing new here

Yes, I'm afraid there isn't anything new here. After looking into crafty projects I could undertake using recycled materials, I realised it would be harder than I thought, mainly because:

1) many projects require one to have collected a large quantity of a specific type of material (eg. tin cans, or bottle tops, or stamps, or brown envelopes or white envelopes etc) persistently and diligently, over a long period of time before one can make something impressive with said material

2) many projects require a skill which I don't have and currently don't have the time to learn, for example, carpentry, knitting, sewing, metal working, welding, etc.

3) following on from above, these specific skills also require certain equipment which I don't have, nor the space to put them even if I happened to acquire them somehow by accident.

I'm sorry if this sounds like an excuse, but just look at some of the recycled art and craft projects there are out there and you'll see what I mean. The best I could do is papier mache with old newspapers, but we don't even buy newspapers anymore (read them online), so we'd be buying newspapers just so I could make papier mache creations out of them. Not really recycling, eh? So for the time being, there won't be any new projects on this blog. Sorry.

1 comment:

Moonroot said...

Re the difficulty of collecting enough recycled stuff for projects, you could always ask friends/neighbours/workmates to save things. We ended up with tons of newspaper in a couple of weeks by the simple expedient of my husband asking his workmates to save them for us. We don't buy newspapers ourselves. Similarly, people are happy to save egg boxes for me (to reuse for the eggs our hens lay, and another friend delivers me her weekly veg peelings to add to my compost heap. Sometimes people think you're a bit weird but it's worth it!